Dental implants have been the most sought-after solution for patients and dentists for tooth replacements. Yet, a new study reveals some good findings about the private and public knowledge on dental implants procedure. Here’s what you need to know:
The research findings revealed, new dental implant patients and the public equally agree that oral surgeons are the most qualified implant professionals. They offer the procedure in the most accurate manner possible. The study also determines that the public would require more education and awareness on dental implants. This states that the dental providers should emphasise on the benefits and value of the same.
How the Dental Implants Survey was conducted?
To conduct the survey, two groups of adult patients were asked a set of questions about dental implants and the answers/information obtained from them were collected for analysis. The group of general population had chosen 50 patients at random at the emergency clinic of Virginia Commonwealth University of Dentistry. It was noticed that these patients didn’t have any plans to place dental implants. The other group, which comprised 76 patients had scheduled for dental implants procedure at the school’s dental implant clinic.
Majority of participants from both the groups agreed to the following:
- Both oral and maxillofacial surgeons are the ideal professionals one can rely upon for placing dental implants.
- Dental implants will require the same dental hygiene and oral health measures just as normal tooth.
- The cost of dental implants is what makes certain patients refrain from availing the treatment. This is despite the truth that the investment made is valuable and useful in the long run.
- It was quite surprising to see that nearly 25 per cent of the general population group never heard of dental implants. Most participants involved in this study stated they received information from their family and friends. Moreover, they said that certified dentists are their top source of information.
- The study also finds that the success rate of dental implants procedure is drastically enhanced when the patients understand the dental implant procedure. Understanding the role they play in following the post-surgical instructions during recovery also determines the success rate.
- The study also advises that dentists should meticulously analyse their patient’s knowledge about dental implants cost and other details. The accuracy of such information and the reasons why certain patients hesitate to obtain the treatment should also be known.
Whilst there is a need for public education about dental implants, it is undeniable that the demand for dental implants has witnessed an all-time high in the recent times.